When I want to bake with Liam, I always want a simple recipe that doesn’t require too much preparation. Last week when he was in a good mood and I wanted to use up a container of sour cream that was sitting in the fridge, I turned to my trusty Donna Hay ‘Fast, Fresh and Simple’ book & found a recipe for lemon yoghurt cake which Iooked like it would fit the bill.
I’ve written out the actual recipe from the book and have added the adjustments I made, due to not have all of the ingredients.
My version turned out lovely and moist. Instead of using lemon frosting, I made a simple plain icing which worked well.
3/4 cup vegetable oil (replaced with 3/4 cup of light virgin olive oil)
1 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup thick natural yoghurt (200g of light sour cream and an extra 2 tablespoons of milk)
1 3/4 cups castor sugar
2 cups self raising flour
I also added 1/4 cup of coconut
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Place the oil, eggs, rind, lemon juice, yoghurt (sour cream & milk) and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sift over the flour and add the coconut and stir until smooth
- Pour the mixture into a greased 24cm fluted ring tin and bake for 35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer
- While the cake is still hot, remove from the tin and place on plate
- To make lemon frosting gently stir together the sugar and lemon juice and spoon over cake and allow to set.
** You can also just use a plain icing as I did which also works well.