Sometimes I crave just a simple cupcake. No indulgent added extras, just a plain simple vanilla cupcake with frosting. If you feel the same, then these are for you. To add to the simplicity, this is an easy recipe where all ingredients are added and mixed together. These cupcakes are super light and fluffy, you can have them with just icing or turn them into butterfly cakes with jam and cream.
120 grams unsalted butter – softened
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
* Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, and line a 12 hole cupcake tin with paper cases
* Put the butter, sugar, flour, milk, vanilla and eggs in a bowl and beat with electric beaters on a low speed for 2 minutes or until well mixed
* Increase speed and beat for a further 2 minutes or until smooth and pale
* Spoon mixture in to cupcake tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden
* Allow to cool completely on a wire rack
* Ice/decorate as desired and enjoy!!
Butterfly cupcake with strawberry and cream – yum!
Last week I started my journey through Donna Hay’s Simple Essentials – Chocolate book with Triple Choc Cookies. This week I’d thought I’d try the Double Chocolate Cupcakes.
As usual, this was a pretty straight forward recipe. The cupcakes were lovely and soft, and the chocolate fudge icing was awesome. I decorated them with a single white chocolate chip which cut through the dark chocolate well. I let myself try just one piece of everything I make, it was difficult not to keep a couple of these at home for my morning tea instead of sending them all off to work with Scott.
125g butter softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
100g dark chocolate melted
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of mixer and beat until light and creamy
- Gradually add eggs and beat well
- Sift over flour, baking powder and cocoa and beat until combined
- Fold through the milk and chocolate and spoon the mixture into 12 x 1/2 cup capacity muffin tins lined with cases
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with skewer
- Cool on wire racks
- Spread or pipe the chocolate fudge icing the cupcakes and keep in the fridge until serving.
Chocolate Fudge Icing
- Place 250g of dark chocolate, 1/2 cup single or pouring cream and 70g of butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water
- Stir until smooth and melted
- Let mixture cool completely then beat with electric beaters until thick and fluffy