Last week I started my journey through Donna Hay’s Simple Essentials – Chocolate book with Triple Choc Cookies. This week I’d thought I’d try the Double Chocolate Cupcakes.
As usual, this was a pretty straight forward recipe. The cupcakes were lovely and soft, and the chocolate fudge icing was awesome. I decorated them with a single white chocolate chip which cut through the dark chocolate well. I let myself try just one piece of everything I make, it was difficult not to keep a couple of these at home for my morning tea instead of sending them all off to work with Scott.
125g butter softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
100g dark chocolate melted
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of mixer and beat until light and creamy
- Gradually add eggs and beat well
- Sift over flour, baking powder and cocoa and beat until combined
- Fold through the milk and chocolate and spoon the mixture into 12 x 1/2 cup capacity muffin tins lined with cases
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with skewer
- Cool on wire racks
- Spread or pipe the chocolate fudge icing the cupcakes and keep in the fridge until serving.
Chocolate Fudge Icing
- Place 250g of dark chocolate, 1/2 cup single or pouring cream and 70g of butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water
- Stir until smooth and melted
- Let mixture cool completely then beat with electric beaters until thick and fluffy