After making a couple of purchases from the Maggie Beer stand at the Good Food and Wine show over the weekend, I was super keen to use the dried Duchess Pears that I had bought.
I was initially thinking of making a muesli slice, and just adding the pear to it. After opening the pack and smelling their delicious sweet scent, I knew I needed to make them the star of the dish (OMG I sound like a Masterchef judge with that comment!).
Searching on the Lifestyle Food website, I came across a Bill Granger recipe for Apple, Dried Cherry and Almond Loaf (from his ‘Every Day’ book) that I thought I could adapt. Whilst I was confident the Pears alone would give enough flavour to the loaf, I wanted to add a little something extra. It was a decision between Goji Berries and Cranberries and I’m very happy with the decision I made!
50g rolled oats
240g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
180g dried pears (original recipe is 125g dried cherries and 50g diced dried apple)
75g brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons honey
1 lightly beaten egg
3 tablespoons of roughly chopped almonds & additional 1 tablespoons of extra chopped almonds
* Place oats in a bowl with milk and soak for 30 minutes
* Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease and line a loaf tin
* Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir in rolled oats mixture, dried fruit, sugar, cinnamon, honey, egg and almonds
* Spoon into tin, level the top and sprinkle extra almonds over the mixture.
* Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack.