I have heard of snickerdoodles, but having no idea what they really were (I thought they contained snickers bars!), I’d never thought about making them. Whilst looking through Nigella Lawson’s ‘How to be a domestic goddess’ I came across this recipe – it looked easy & not many ingredients were needed, so I gave it a go.
OMG….. What have I been doing waiting so long to make these???? They tasted incredible, just like a cinnamon doughnut. There was no way I could stop at trying just one, and I will admit to devouring 4 of them… Oh well, looks like I’m off to the gym tonight!
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
125g butter at room temperature
100g + 2 extra tbsp of caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cinnamon
* Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line two baking trays with paper
* Combine the flour, nutmeg, baking powder and salt and set aside
* On a small plate, combine additional 2 tbsp of caster sugar and cinnamon
* Cream the butter with 100g of sugar until light and fluffy, gradually beat in egg and vanilla extract
* Add the dry ingredients and stir through until a smooth dough forms
* Using a tablespoon, form a small ball of dough and then roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture.
* Place on baking tray and bake for around 15 minutes – they should be turning golden brown at this time.
* Cool on trays for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack.