As Summer is creeping up on us (the weather we’ve had this past week makes it feel like it’s already here!), a lot of summer fruits are making their way into our basket. This week I bought some wonderful looking passionfruit – my first for the season, and it seemed there was no better time to make this Tropical Cake from the McAlpins recipe book.
To date, I have followed the recipes from this book to the letter, resisting the urge to tweak with additional ingredients. I admit to caving with this cake by adding two of my favourite ingredients – vanilla and coconut, because really you can’t go wrong with these two great flavours? Let me know what you think!
8 oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
4 oz butter or margarine
6 oz castor sugar
3 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons coconut
- Sift flour and salt
- Cream butter and sugar, beat eggs in gradually
- Mix in sifted ingredients alternately with milk
- Lastly mix in pulp of the passionfruit and banana
- Turn into a greased tin lined on bottom with paper (I used a 20cm round tin)
- Bake in a moderate oven 40 – 50 minutes (I baked mine for 35 mins in a 170 degree fan forced oven
- When cold ice with passionfruit icing and decorate with pieces of cherry
- Boil the skins of the passionfruit in just a little water for a few minutes. Use some of this liquid to mix the icing sugar and you will get a pale pink icing flavoured with passionfruit
* Sift 4oz icing sugar into a bowl and add liquid gradually (approx 1 tablespoon) to make it the consistency required.