Whenever I set out to make something new, I usually try and pick something that I’m going to enjoy – I figure, what is the point of going to all that effort and then being disappointed with the result and wasting precious calories on something you don’t really enjoy.
This recipe comes from my Mum’s old book. I thought it looked interesting, and I had all the ingredients on hand. Whilst it didn’t taste terrible, there are certainly a lot of other slices I would prefer to make, and I probably won’t try this one again. I did enjoy the base, I love weet-bix and it also contained my favourite ingredient coconut. If anything, I’d be keen to try a different topping with the same base – please feel free to offer any suggestions! Others who tried it did enjoy it (and they did mean it as they ‘keep it real’ when giving feedback)!
Please click here for conversion table
4 oz butter
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa
2 cups crushed weet-bix
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Cream butter and sugar together, add egg and vanilla essence
- Mix in coconut, cocoa and crushed weet-bix
- Press into a greased slice tin and bake for 15 minutes
2 oz butter
2 cups icing sugar
1 tablespoon custard powder
2 tablespoons hot water
1 block of milk chocolate
- Beat together butter, icing sugar, custard powder and hot water.
- Spread mixture onto the base and put into the fridge
- Melt chocolate and copha in microwave – use 30 second spurts and mix as you go
- Pour over slice and pop back in the fridge until chocolate has almost set, remove then to cut into slices