Continuing my journey through Donna Hay’s Simply Essentials Chocolate book, I decided to make this butter cake – with choc chips of course! After I had made a different version of butter cake over the weekend, I was keen to try another recipe.
This cake is incredibly moist and has a great vanilla/buttery flavour. I didn’t have any sour cream, and substituted with natural yoghurt which worked well. I also used a whole bag of cadbury dark chocolate chips instead of chopped dark chocolate. I love dark chocolate and thought it complemented the cake brilliantly, but others said they would have preferred milk chocolate. After having a big weekend, I’m back on the straight and narrow and have eaten well today. However the temptation of warm cake was too much and I gave in and ate a whole piece… it was worth it though! I will now be setting the alarm early to go for a walk in the morning!
185g butter softened
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sour cream
2 1/3 cups plain flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- Place butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl of mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes or until light and creamy
- Add the eggs and sour cream and beat well
- Fold through the flour, baking powder and chocolate
- Spoon the mixture into a 20 x 30cm slab tine lined with non stick baking paper
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer