I had never tried lactation biscuits before having Aiden. Whilst googling random things during a night feed, I came across ‘low fat’ biscuit recipes on the Lose Baby Weight website. I have since made a few batches and have added a couple of ingredients and make my cookies smaller (usually getting between 36 – 48 cookies), so I am unsure of the nutritional content.
I snack on these during the afternoon to help boost my milk supply during the early evening when it seems to be at it’s lowest. A batch usually last up to a week (my husband won’t eat them as he thinks they will make him start lactating!), and I think they have helped my supply – or I may just be telling myself that they are!
1 1/2 Cups of Rolled Oats
3/4 Cup of Flaxseed (Linseed Meal)
3 Tablespoons of Brewers Yeast – I use 4 x 5g sachets of brewers yeast
1/2 Cup of Unsweetened Applesauce
1/3 Cup of Maple Syrup – I substitute for Golden Syrup as it’s cheaper
1/4 Cup of Light Oil
1 small Egg
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Cup of Chocolate Chips – I use Cadbury dark chocolate chips… yummo!
8 -12 Pitted Dates chopped up
1/2 Cup of Coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (Fan Forced)
- Line 2 trays with Baking Paper
- Combine Apple Sauce, Maple Syrup, Oil, Egg and Vanilla Extract and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in Oats, Flaxseed, Brewers Yeast, Baking Soda, Coconut and Cinnamon until combined
- Fold in Chocolate Chips and Dates.
- Lightly roll teaspoon sized balls of mixture and place on tray – flatten slightly with a fork
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes until starting to turn golden brown
I’d love to hear any other lactation cookie recipes that you may have – preferably ones that work!