A few years ago I bought a ‘Gratitude Journal’ from one of my favourite stores – Kikki K. At the end of each day I would write in the journal three things that I was grateful for that had happened that day. I recently found the journal whilst trying to clean up our pigsty of a study and sat down to read through it – it was bizzare to think how much my life has changed since then….
23rd August 2010
- Having a productive day at work, although it was busy, still was able to get a lot of things done.
- I made myself go out of the office and have a proper lunch break – great timing as Cue was having a sale!
- Going to my accupuncturist appointment, enjoying the session and coming out feeling so relaxed afterwards
25th September 2010
- Getting my morning walk done before it started to rain.
- Spending time with Scott just relaxing and watching a dvd.
- Motivating myself to do all of the ironing, feeling much happier that it is all done now!
Over the past few weeks I’ve again started sitting down at the end of the day and thinking about three things I am grateful for that day, and writing them down. It’s not a novel, just a few words that I can then look back on and remember that things aren’t so bad. Even after a challenging day, when I have to REALLY try and wrack my brain to think of something, it’s a nice positive way to end the day.
What I am grateful for…..
- A great husband who is still putting up with me after 11 years
- Although we’ve had a lot of challenges over the past 5 years, we now have two happy and healthy boys
- Walking down to the local park to feed the ducks with the boys
- Watching Liam happily playing outside with the dog
- I have wonderful friends, both old and new who I can always count on
- Taking some time to myself and going for a run/going to the gym
- The weather where we live is fantastic and we can spend lots of time outside
- Being able to enjoy a very social lifestyle whilst I’m off work at the moment!
- Both of the boys are good sleepers – I have a baby who is only waking 1-2 times through the night (really hoping I don’t jinx this) and Liam is still sleeping through
- Enjoying the peace and quiet of early morning feeds whilst having a coffee and watching the sun come up
You don’t always have to be grateful for deep and meaningful things….
- Zaraffa’s is on the way home from Liam’s kindy AND they have a drive through
- Now that it’s getting warmer I am enjoying having Iced Latte’s again – should I be concerned there is a coffee theme going on??
- Walking into Target and there is a spot sale on baby clothes
- Feeling less scruffy after having eyebrows waxed
- Sense of achievement after putting away 3 days worth of washing.. and vowing never to let it build up again… just doesn’t happen though
Will you accept the challenge to think of three things you are grateful for each day?